In the late 1870s, Toronto had one drinkery for every 70 citizens. They were located close to factories, including a warehouse that once stood where we are today.
Established in 1877 by our namesake, D.W.Alexander,
an esteemed dealer in leather and hides, the business
grew to become the largest sole-leather trade in
In those days, rugged but well-dressed gentlemen
from the factories and warehouses would congregate
at the nearest drinkery to celebrate the end
of a long day with a hard drink. While the nature
of the employment in the area may have changed,
the thirst for good, old-fashioned after-work
cocktails and camaraderie has not.
With a nod to the past and an eye on the present,
our establshment echoes the industrial character
of D.W. Alexander’s era and fuses it with
a contemporary style.
We think he’d like what we’ve done with the place.